You might be thinking that getting a wedding DJ is pretty straight forward, but it isn’t. We had a horrible experience with our wedding DJ and would hate for anyone to have the same experience. We had a very rude, arrogant and homophobic DJ that the venue supplied and we wish we’d had the option to say no!
Most people will want wedding entertainment and at the very least they’ll want a wedding DJ but you really need to make sure you do your homework first because you could end up with a horrible DJ who could quite frankly, ruin your evening event!
Finding A Wedding DJ
Here are three ways to find a wedding DJ in the UK:
- Ask for recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. This is a great way to get started, as you can get first-hand accounts of people’s experiences with different DJs. Maybe you’ve been to a wedding and loved their DJ, ask them who it was!
- Search online for wedding DJs in your area. There are a number of websites that list wedding DJs, and you can read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for you. Don’t go with the first one you find and don’t go with the cheapest as cheap in the wedding industry doesn’t mean good.
- Attend wedding shows and expos. This is a great way to meet with DJs in person and get a feel for their style and personality. You can also ask questions and get more information about their services. This is where we found most of our suppliers, although not our wedding DJ.
Once you’ve found a few DJs that you’re interested in, be sure to schedule consultations so that you can learn more about their services and see if they’re a good fit for your wedding. Make sure that once you’ve found a wedding DJ you’re happy with, you ask them the questions below. If they can’t answer the questions that should show some red flags.
34 Wedding DJ Questions
Take a look at some of the DJ questions below. Of course, they might not all apply to you but it’s better to have all of the information even if you don’t need some of it. Knowing everything will help you make a more informed choice on if you want to hire someone.
34 questions to ask a wedding DJ in the UK:
- How long have you been a DJ?
- What is your experience with weddings?
- What is your style of music?
- Do you have a demo CD or video I can watch?
- Can you customise your setlist to fit our needs?
- Can you play specific songs?
- Can you accommodate our special requests?
- What is your pricing?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Do you have any additional fees?
- Do you have any equipment requirements? and Do you charge for equipment hire?
- How many people will be in your DJ crew?
- What is your dress code?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- Can you provide references?
- Can you provide a timeline for the day?
- Can you MC the ceremony and reception?
- Can you handle announcements and toasts?
- Can you keep the dance floor packed all night long?
- Can you handle any unexpected events that may come up?
- What happens if you get sick or injured?
- What happens if there is bad weather?
- What happens if there is a power outage?
- What happens if there is a technical difficulty?
- What happens if we are not happy with your performance?
- What happens if we need to make changes to our plans?
- What happens if we need to cancel our event?
- What happens if we need to reschedule our event?
- Do you have any questions for us?
- What can we do to make your job easier?
- What can we do to make your experience more enjoyable?
- Why should we hire you?
- Are you LGBTQ+ friendly? (if they say no and you’re an LGBTQ+ community member, RUN!)
- Have you done same-sex weddings before?
Wedding DJ Cost UK
The average wedding DJ cost for a wedding in the UK will change depending on your location. It will also change depending on how much experience the company or person has and if they are in high demand. You might also be able to get a better price if you’re booking through your venue.
The average cost of a wedding DJ in the UK is £400+. The price can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the experience of the DJ, the length of the event, and the type of music you want to play. It’s important to get quotes from a few different DJs before making a decision. As I’ve said before, the cheapest option isn’t always that great and you do get what you pay for in the wedding world!
Tips When Booking A Wedding DJ
I wish that we had all of this information before we booked our wedding DJ, in fact, we had to use the one that the venue supplied so it was a shame when they turned out so badly. I’m sure if we’d asked them some of these wedding DJ questions then we would have made sure they didn’t set foot near our wedding! I still hold a little grudge if you can’t tell.
Below are three main tips that we have if you’re booking a UK wedding DJ. Of course, the wedding DJ questions above will give you a much more clear image of the company you might want to hire but there are three tips I can give you, they are as follows:
- Start planning early. The best wedding DJs book up months in advance, so it’s important to start planning early. A wedding DJ might not be the most expensive part of the wedding but if the DJ is good, they’re booked up months, maybe even years in advance!
- Get quotes from multiple DJs. Once you’ve found a few DJs that you’re interested in, be sure to get quotes from each of them so that you can compare prices and services. We did our wedding at a decent price, we found great deals and we still managed to go with the supplies we wanted (just not our jerk DJ).
- Ask for references. Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, be sure to ask for references from past clients. This will give you a good idea of the quality of the DJ’s work. This is key, if they’re unwilling to give you any or don’t at least point you in the direction of their social media so you can see past events they’ve done, don’t hire them!
I hope these tips help you find the perfect wedding DJ for your big day!
Other Wedding Information Articles!
I have loads of amazing posts that can help you ensure you get the best wedding possible. If this post has helped you with your wedding DJ, you have to take a look at my other posts because they might just save your wedding day and a lot of time and hassle while planning!
30 Questions To Ask Your Wedding Entertainment
Wedding entertainment is such a big part of your wedding day so make sure you get it right! Take a look at our post on the important questions to ask your wedding entertainment and there are some great ideas on there for unique wedding entertainment as well!
If you’re looking for more help or advice for getting married, check out:
74 Winter Wedding Favour Ideas
30 Wedding Caterer Questions You Need To Ask!
8 Wedding Entertainment Ideas You Might Not Have Thought Of!
14 Questions To Ask Your Wedding Cake Maker
34 Wedding DJ Questions Conclusion
A wedding DJ can provide the perfect soundtrack for your big day, from the ceremony to the reception. They can also help keep your guests entertained and on the dance floor all night long. If you have a good wedding DJ it also means you can create some amazing memories in a photo or video form, something everyone will remember for years to come even when the vivid memories fade!
I hope these 34 wedding DJ questions have helped. Have I left an important question off the list? Let me know and I’ll update the whole post! I don’t want people to have any issues with their weddings because the day is amazing, it’s special and it should be all yours without the worry of anything going wrong!
If you want to share this post with someone who might be planning a wedding, go for it! You could even use the pictures below to put this post on your Pinterest if you fancy it!