On our wedding journey we’ve had to do a lot of planning, interviews with suppliers and sourcing various products. It’s a major pain but we both know it’ll be worth it when the big day comes. One of the thing Matt wanted to get right was the wedding photographer, we needed to get the right photographer for our big day which meant we had to make the list, questions for wedding photographer.
It was important to get the right photographer so putting a list of wedding photographer questions together was the right thing we needed to do, however we had no idea what sort of questions we needed to ask and what exactly was involved when booking a wedding photographer. It’s important to find the right questions to ask a wedding photographer and after making sure we had all the questions we needed we thought it would be best to share them with the world so that others knew what questions to ask.
Why Should You Ask Wedding Photographers Questions?
It’s really important to ask your wedding photographer questions, you need to make sure you pick the best so that your wedding photos turn out the way you want them to. You don’t want to end up with some terrible photos or a photographer that only focuses on one part of the day like the flowers or food. I’d also say that make sure you look at both local photographers and photographers that are a bit out of your local area. Our photographers are based in Salisbury which obviously isn’t in Bournemouth but not too far away. Also you won’t find your best wedding photographers local to you, espically if you want something a little different.
28 Wedding Photographer Questions
Basic questions to ask the photographer, these are to get a feel of what the wedding photographer is like and if they best suit your style.
- How many weddings have you worked on?
- Have you worked at our venue before?
- How long have you been wedding photographers?
- Have you got a portfolio of recent work?
- Can we request specific shots to be taken?
- Do you offer an engagement shoot as part of the package?
- How would you describe your style of photography?
- How do we receive the photos?
- What information do you need before the wedding day?
Wedding day questions, these are questions you need to ask the photographer about the wedding day so you’re familiar with the process and how things will run on your wedding day.
- What time do you arrive to the venue?
- Do we need to provide food on the day?
- How long are you at the venue, is it all day?
- Do you have a back up plan if you’re unable to attend? (A stand in photographer? If so who?)
- How do you prefer to shoot on the day? Do you mingle and talk with guests or flow in the background?
Payment and packages questions, you need to ask these so you know how much you’re going to be paying out, if there’s any extras you might need to pay for and what you’re getting for that payment.
- Do you offer a range of wedding packages?
- How many pictures do we get from the day?
- Does the pacakge include wedding albums, memory stick or prints?
- Can we purchase additional content such as albums and prints, if so how much?
- How long does it take for us to get the photos after the weeding.
- When is the final payment due?
- Can we pay in installments?
- What is the minimum deposit for each package?
Personal questions, these are questions you’re going to be asking yourself. At the end of the day it’s your wedding and you need to make sure that you’re happy with the wedding photographer and that you trust them to capture your day how you want.
- Did you have a good repport with the photographer?
- Did you feel comforatble around the photographer?
- Did you like their pictures from past work?
- Are you happy with the service they offer and for the price they ask?
- Do you trust that they understand your vision for the day and can take the pictures you want?
- Has the photographer listened and shown interest in your vision and wedding?
The Importance Of Getting The Right Answers!
Everyone is going to have a different vision for their wedding, it might even be that the two people getting married want different photos. Asking these questions is key to getting the right wedding photographer of your dreams. You want to walk away from your wedding day with faith in your photographer knowing that they have some amazing photos to send you.
Wedding images can be tricky, you need to ensure you have the best person to take them images. As I’ve said before don’t book the first time you meet someone, make sure you go away and ask them personal questions because if you don’t feel comfortable in a wedding photographer; don’t book them for your wedding. Also you’ll know if you’re getting good value as well if they offer bits thrown in like wedding books, wedding albums and bits like that, don’t be fooled by cheap prices or fancy phrases. Do your home work and ask as many questions as you can think of, hopefully all the ones on the list above.
Always ask questions, at the end of the day you’re going to be paying a fortune for your wedding and there’s no point settling with someone you think is just okay when you could have someone much better and fairly priced just around the corner. Ask the right questions to get the best wedding pics from your day. Ask people for adivce and recommendations, maybe you loved someone elses wedding photos, ask them who did their wedding photography. Don’t pay a fortune for something you won’t end up liking or wanting!